Friday, September 26, 2014

Friday September 26, 2014

"Spec" PWYKs started our day.  Lets hope we take it up a notch from last week.  After we jumped into testing group planned and made foil lifeboats.  We had one hold 140 pennies today.  Using our knowledge of variables and results from today, next Tuesday students will create their own personal foil boats.  The champion shall be rewarded!  Monday will be catapult day.




In math we began lesson 6 of Common Core Progress.  This lesson focused in on expanded form of numbers in fractional, decimal, and powers of ten form.  We will continue to explore expanded form on Monday.





Writing's focus was adding "true meaning" to our personal narratives.  Students discovered the theme of an example writing piece from Mrs. Haegele. Ask you child what the real meaning or theme is.  This weekend your child will finish rewrite revising their personal narrative draft and showing their theme in an ending paragraph.

Here is Mrs. Haegele's example, a great exemplar of personal narrative:

This past Sunday, I had the opportunity to spend some time with a friend, kayaking at Lake Nockamixon. It was a perfect day for it – plenty of sunshine, no wind, and a nearly perfect temperature. I paddled along, focusing on my posture as I dipped the paddle into the water to propel myself forward. I headed west, admiring the changing foliage and various wildlife found closer to the water’s edge among the lily pads. There were Great Blue Herons, sunbathing turtles, and cormorants searching for something tasty to eat. I stuck close the lily pads, occasionally making a path through them to get a closer look at something. As we reached the southwestern tip of the lake, we approached a pair of kayakers who were pointing and looking through binoculars. It turns out they were watching a Bald Eagle, perched on the tallest branch of a tree at the perimeter of the lake. I thought to myself that this was the icing on the cake – a great day made even better by the opportunity to see a symbol of our country. This sighting was even more special because it was not a zoo or distant attraction, but at the lake where I spent countless hours as a kid, exploring trails on horseback and fishing with my brothers. The moment was interrupted by the loud and somewhat distressed call of a cormorant. Just as I turned, a second Bald Eagle swooped down, snatched a fish out of the water, and flew away to enjoy its meal.
Feeling content, I turned my kayak and began paddling back to the boat ramp – this time, heading directly across the center of the lake. At this point, my mind shifted to our destination, and I inevitably began to think of my Sunday evening to-do list. “It always feels like it takes forever to get back to the boat ramp,” I complained.
“That’s just because you’re out on the open water,” my friend explained. “You’re not noticing how far you’re traveling with each stroke. Look over at the lily pads, and you’ll see that you’re actually going just as fast as you were on the way out.”
My friend was right. Closer to the water’s edge, my progress was more noticeable. Out in the open, it seemed as though I wasn’t getting anywhere. The only difference was my perspective. I decided then to focus on the lily pads and the beautiful sights around me, rather than my Sunday night to-do list. What a difference it made.
I recalled Sunday’s events on Tuesday afternoon, during a conversation with a colleague about a challenge we are facing this year. I reminded myself to keep things in perspective. To celebrate our successes without dwelling on the goals that haven’t yet been accomplished. I hope that as you are faced with new challenges this school year, that you will keep things in perspective. Keep paddling, even when you feel frustrated. Remember where you started and focus on your progress. You just may be surprised at how far you’ve come.

In reading we began our fun Friday project that will last about a month.  We are learning to create posters that are appealing and useful.  Based on USC's art school we found some great connections to how artistic designed can be connected to college and career readiness.  Check out their site below:

Homework
-Math: very basic place value identification worksheet (help on back)
- Reading: read 30 min. ; finish your rewrite revision including your theme filled ending
- Spelling/Voc: Spelling due Oct. 6
- Other: planner signed; gogurt/directory signed; Fall basket Backyard BBQ items donated; LR and Spelling signed

No comments:

Post a Comment